Northshore Lacrosse develops K-12 youth in the sport of field lacrosse in Washington State's Northshore School District (Bothell Lacrosse, Inglemoor Lacrosse, and North Creek Lacrosse). Skills are easily transferable from Basketball, Soccer, and Hockey.
All youth teams need parent volunteers for the following roles. Don't worry if you don't know what to do. We'll teach you "on the job".
This title refers to the group of game day volunteers that fulfill the Scorekeeper, Spotter, and Timekeeper roles.
Your role is to record all of the stats in the team's scorebook (to be provided). You sit at the scorer's table. You echo each call made by the spotter to ensure you are hearing and recording correctly. This role is a statisticians dream. Each team will have its own scorekeeper.
Your role is to call out all stats such as contested ground balls, shots, saves, goals, and assists. You must be heard by the scorekeeper who record the stats. The head coach uses these stats to inform their practice planning. To make it easier for the scorekeeper, always make the calls in the order; team name or color, player number, followed by the appropriate statistic. For example, for a goal by Bothell, you would call out "Bothell #7 Goal, #14 Assist". Each team will have its own spotter.
Your role is to operate the game clock to track game time and player's penalty time. Before the game begins, confirm the quarter durations with the referee. The home team is responsible for providing a volunteer for this role.
Your role is to check the goals and repair any holes, tape any required lines on the field that are not already present, and place/retrieve game balls. When the referees call captains about 5 minutes before the game, you place four game balls along each end of the field and then retrieve them at the conclusion of the game.
Your role is to plan practices, direct assistant coaches, and direct the players through drills and conditioning. 80% of the coaching role is providing positive feedback and the other 20% is providing instruction on lacrosse fundamentals. The club will provide practice planning resources. We recommend that coaches have players arrive 45 minutes before games to warm up.
Practices and games
Your role is to work under the direction of a head coach to set up cones and direct the players through drills and conditioning. 80% of the coaching role is providing positive feedback and the other 20% is providing instruction on lacrosse fundamentals. We recommend that coaches have players arrive 45 minutes before games to warm up.
Take cues from the head coach on the points of emphasis for each drill. For example, on ground balls, the head coach will emphasize stepping next to the ball, getting the back hand lower to the ground, and scooping through on the run. The coach will discourage bad habits such as one handed scooping and raking the ball.
At games, your role is to help rotate the players on and off the field.